Originally a project of Save the Children International, Early Dawn Microfinance Company Limited (DAWN) began providing loans to low-income women in peri-urban areas of Yangon in 2002. DAWN became an independent microfinance company in 2015, and now serves over 200,000 clients in six regions across Myanmar. DAWN is registered with Myanmar’s Ministry of Planning and Finance and operates with a deposit-taking license granted by the Federal Regulatory Department.
DAWN expands the availability of high-quality, affordable and appropriate services for Myanmar’s financially excluded. DAWN provides group-guaranteed loans, interest-bearing savings accounts and financial literacy training to low-income women who own and operate their own businesses.
DAWN is currently searching for a Chief Technology Officer. Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), will lead the development of the businesses’ digital strategy, implementation and the delivery of multiple technology solutions across the business, by ensuring consistency in delivery approach. The role will work to overhaul the business’s digital services, technology, processes and distribution channels while growing a team and meeting the company's objectives through digital transformation, process efficiency, improved customer experience and a more effective product rang
The responsibilities of this role include:
1. Digital Strategy Development (20%)
• Define the direction of the overall digital strategy, coordinate and manage the annual digital team's delivery calendar and digital roadmap to help drive business growth and planning. This will include: i. Technology infrastructure: Provide infrastructure services vision that will enable innovation which leverage IT trends to create business value ii. Supplement innovations in current product service – use digital tools to improve Customer Journey and experience iii. Launch new digital products and services – plan for and design the Institution’s new digital product offering • Assessing internal services suitability for digital transformation and rigorously prioritizing involvement by customer or cost saving benefit. • Promote partnerships that further digital agenda • Drive innovations that could best support customer needs.
2. Leadership (20%)
• Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems. Negotiates all IT acquisition contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate.
• Provide responsive advice, counsel, education and service to DAWN concerning DFS, IT issues and trends in the IT industry and DFS.
• Communicate DFS & IT plans, policies and technology trends throughout the organization, including management groups and professional staff.
• Determine pertinent information required by management in making effective decisions. Ensure that the gathering, processing, distribution and use of this information occurs in a timely, accurate and cost effective manner through on-going review and education programs at executive, management and user levels.
• Promote and oversee relationships between DAWN’s IT resources and external entities (
3. Management and Oversight (20%)
• Approve, coordinate, and control all projects related to selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems for DAWN.
• Develop and maintain an appropriate organizational structure capable of supporting the information needs of operating entities through appropriate information technology.
• Develop and maintain corporate IT policies and standards relating to the acquisition, implementation, and operation of information technology and communication systems.
• Develop and maintain an enterprise-wide data model and data dictionary.
• Negotiate IT service level agreements with user organizations and monitors IT systems performance to assure service levels are being met.
• Research and evaluate alternatives for the enhancement or re-engineering of IT. Develops, coordinates and manages the incorporation of enhancements to and re-engineering of company systems, in keeping with the needs and objectives of the enterprise.
• Provide quality service to end users in needs analysis, solution recommendation, vendor selection, implementation, training, and post-installation support.
• Ensure that enterprise information systems operate according to internal standards, external regulatory standards, and legal requirements.
• Develop and enforce policy and procedures to ensure the protection of enterprise IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information maintained by the enterprise.
• Develop and maintain an enterprise-wide business recovery plan to ensure timely and effective restoration of IT services in the event of a disaster.
4. Human Resources Management (20%)
• Responsible for the recruitment, development, motivation and retention of assigned management and staff conforming to budgetary objectives and human resources policies. This shall be accomplished through the consistent practice of sound human resources concepts, thereby achieving teamwork, employee security, mutual respect, maintenance of the highest level of professionalism and a stake in DAWN’s success.
• Ensure appropriate training programs for the organization are in place to attract, retain and develop the key personnel required to support information services.
5. Financial Management (20%)
• Develop and maintain the annual operating and capital budgets for company information and technology systems operations consistent with programmatic plans and established financial guidelines. Responsible for monitoring IT activities
and costs as related to the overall utilization of resources required to meet programmatic operational requirements.
• Develop and maintain corporate policies and standards aimed at minimizing costs related to the acquisition, implementation and operation of IT systems.
• Maintain contact with existing and potential new partners for DFS and innovative channels, IT suppliers and maintains knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels. Evaluate alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
• Review company hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate. Develop, when possible, company master purchase or lease agreements for hardware, software, maintenance and telecommunication services.
• Requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or a related field.
• Post Graduate Master of Business Administration or Management degree.
• At least 10 years of progressive experience in managing functions and departments dealing with information handling, work flow and systems. Three or more years of direct management of a major IT operation is preferred. Two or more years of experience in banking industry is essential, preferably in IT planning to support strategic business goals. Experience should also include substantial exposure to both in-house and shared or out-sourced systems, multiple hardware platforms, and integrated information and communications systems. Experience in digital transformation of financial institutions is highly desirable, as well as experience in Myanmar or in Asia.
Comprehensive knowledge of:
• Business principles and techniques of administration, organization, and management to include an in-depth understanding of the key business issues that exist in the banking or microfinance industry. These include, but are not limited to, knowledge of strategic and operational planning, personnel administration, federal, state and local laws, marketing, financial and cost analysis.
• Must have excellent knowledge of and expertise in digital financial services as well as hands-on knowledge of four or more of the following: mobile money, digital payments, mobile banking, POS/cards, agent banking, data and business intelligence platforms, core banking systems, digital field applications.
• Strong experience managing transformation projects from start to finish, gathering user requirements through prototypes to actual delivery and iteration. Valuable experience will include project managing a financial services product launch from inception and product design to pilot and commercial launch, working across multiple teams in the business to deliver project KPIs
• Experience of data driven design and the production of effective management information.
• Experience delivering change activities and working effectively with senior management.
• Strong business analysis skills and an understanding of open source and open standards.
• Experience in supplier and contract management.
• Experience of Agile and an understanding of Prince 2 a distinct advantage.
Proven skills in:
• Written and verbal communication
• Negotiating with vendors, contractors, and others
• Budget preparation and monitoring
• Planning and organizing
• Management and leadership
• Interpersonal relationship building
Demonstrated ability to:
• Relate to all levels of the user community
• Be a team player that motivates and educates other team members
• Plan, implement and support systems in a complex IT environment
• Set and manage priorities
• Comprehend complex, technical subjects
• Translate technical language to lay audiences
• Link and apply complex technologies to business strategies
• Create and motivate behavior change